Agenda for the Springs Community Alliance meeting for Thurs Oct 9, 2014
SPRINGS COMMUNITY ALLIANCE BY-LAWS
Article 1 - Name: The name of this organization shall be the springs Community Alliance (hereafter referred to as SCA).
Article 2 - Purpose
Section 1 The purpose of SCA is to represent the interests and well being of persons who live in, serve, or conduct business within the four neighborhoods in Sonoma Valley known as El Verano, Boyes Hot Springs, Fetters Hot Springs and Agua Caliente (hereafter referred to as the “Springs”.
Article 3 - The SCA, and activities proposed by the SCA, shall not discriminate against individuals or groups on the basis of race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, citizenship, national origin, income, immigration status, or political affiliation.
Article 4 - Governance
Section 1 Executive Committee: The SCA Executive Committee shall be comprised of Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Treasurer, Secretary and Committee Member-at-Large. In addition to specific duties, the overall role of the Executive Committee is to establish goals for the SCA and transact business necessary to achieve those goals. Executive Committee members will also serve on standing committees.
Section 2 Specific duties of Executive Committee:
(1) Chairperson: Preside at regular and special meetings of SCA; appoint members of special and/or standing committees and provide instruction regarding the duties of these committees; to speak or communicate to the public on behalf of the Executive Committee and/or SCA. Special votes can be called at the discretion of the Chairperson.
(2) Vice Chairperson: Serve and assist the Chairperson as requested; assume and fulfill the duties of the Chairperson in the event of absence, incapacity, or when called upon.
(3) Secretary: Record and maintain minutes and records of the SCA and Executive Committee; correspond with the membership and others as needed; make such records accessible to membership; maintain a file, digital or material, of official correspondence; maintain digital and mailing addresses of the membership; collect sign-in sheets at general meetings.
(4) Treasurer: Collect and record dues payments; deposit in the SCA bank account all receipts of the SCA: report on financial status of the SCA as requested.
(5) Committee Member-At-Large: Provides additional support as necessary to achieve SCA goals and is appointed at the sole discretion of the Executive Committee.
Section 3 Elections/Nominations/Terms: Executive Committee officers shall be elected annually by a majority vote of the membership in attendance at a public meeting announced for that purpose. Committee members will serve a one-year term from Jan-Dec. The Executive Committee may recommend a slate of officers for the following year at the membership meeting in Oct. Nominations may also be made from the floor at the Oct meeting. The elections will be held at the following meeting in Nov.
Section 4 Vacancies: Vacancies shall be filled by appointment of the Executive Committee until the next regular election of officers in November.
Section 5 Standing Committees: Standing committees shall be established to meet the purposes and goals of the organization and should include, but are not limited to, economic development; environmental safety, beauty and preservation; traffic and roadway issues; health; community outreach and hospitality. Committee heads will be appointed by the Chairperson and are responsible for establishing and maintaining ongoing connections in their areas and reporting regularly to the Chairperson and membership at large.
Section 6 Meeting times: The Executive Committee shall meet once a month prior to the general membership meetings. A quorum will be a majority of the committee. Meetings of the general membership normally will be on the second Thursday of each month at a time and place considered convenient for members. General meetings shall be conducted according to recognized principles of organizational functioning such as Robert’s Rules of Order.
Article 5 - Membership
Section 1 Membership is open to individuals who meet one of the descriptions stated in the SCA purpose statement.
Section 2 Voting decisions shall be based on majority present.
Section 3 Non-voting visitors are welcome to attend and participate at all meetings.
Article 6 – Dues are voluntary. $5/year is suggested but not required for membership.
Article 7 - Amendment Procedures:
Section 1 Proposals to amend the by-laws may be initiated by a petition of 10 SCA members, or by the Executive Committee.
Section 2 Voting: The by-laws may be amended by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of members who are present and voting at an annual membership meeting, provided that the proposed amendment has been announced at least 3 days before the meeting on a published agenda and at least 10 members are in attendance at the meeting.
Section 3 Effective date: Amendments shall become effective upon adoption.
Article 8 – General quorum: A voting quorum for a general meeting will be a minimum of 10 people.